Electricity is a core enabler of modern life, powering homes and workplaces, and employing thousands of Canadians across the country. But as the industry continues to grow towards renewable energy, and with demographic shifts causing the retirement of a large cohort of its workforce, the electricity sector is in immediate need of appealing to younger and more diverse workers to keep the lights on.
In this series, TheFutureEconomy.ca and our partner Electricity Human Resources Canada seek to understand the multitude of forces that are reshaping Canada’s electricity sector and its workforce to address the needs and articulate the solutions to its talent shortage. Through eight video interviews and one panel, Powering Canada’s Future ascertains what must be done by all stakeholders in Canada’s electricity ecosystem to reinvigorate this key sector in Canada’s future economy.
- VideoPanel on Canada’s Electricity Workforce: Adapting for the Future
- VideoIndigenous Participation in Canada’s Electricity Sector Eryn Stewart & Ricky-Lee Watts Managing Director & Youth Program Manager - Indigenous Clean Energy (ICE)
- VideoYouth Engagement in the Future Electricity Workforce Meredith Adler Executive Director - Student Energy
- VideoWork-Integrated Learning’s Future in Canadian Industry Anne-Marie Fannon Director, Work-Integrated Learning Programs - University of Waterloo
- VideoCanada’s Future Workforce and Work-Integrated Learning Sarah Plouffe Director of the Student Work Placement Program - Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
- VideoTransitioning Canada’s Electricity Workforce Najlaa Rauf VP of People and Culture - Spark Power Corp.
- VideoTraining Canada’s Future Electricity Workforce Kathy McCrum VP, HR and Safety - SaskPower
- VideoClimate Change’s Impact on Canada’s Electricity Sector Ken Hartwick President & CEO - Ontario Power Generation (OPG)
- VideoUpskilling the Canadian Electricity Sector Workforce Michelle Branigan Chief Executive Officer - Electricity Human Resources Canada
- Breaking Gender Equality Barriers in Renewable Energy Joanna Osawe President & CEO - WiRE
- The Creative Middle Ground: Opening Space for our Energy Future Alison Cretney Managing Director - Energy Futures Lab
- VideoIndigenous Participation in Canada’s Energy Transition Sandra Sutter Manager, Indigenous Partnerships - PTW Energy
- Attracting Youth Talent is Vital to the Electricity Sector’s Future Michelle Branigan CEO - Electricity Human Resources Canada
- VideoSpotlight on Skills Development for Canada's Future Innovators